Thursday, March 26, 2009

Family Matters

This past week I had a fantastic visit from my sister, Becky. She was scheduled to attend a software workshop on Monday so she came down from Erhard (a small town located between Pelican Rapids and Fergus Falls, Minnesota) on Sunday and decided to stay with her brother "in the big city" for three days--right on!

Ever since returning from India a few months ago it's been rather quiet in my life, not like the noise and activity of my experience in Bangalore. This quiet often feels nice, but also feels a bit empty. One of the things I miss most about my expat life is having the other expats around. Living in our apartment building, Zen Gardens, was like a college dorm and Melrose Place wrapped into one--some excitement, some drama, some challenges, but lots of time together. It was my expat family! Even though we all had our own apartments we were never more than a few steps away from one another. Now I'm back up by myself in my corner apartment and I only know one of my neighbors so far... quite the change.

While Becky was here we spent the first couple of nights setting up her new laptop and watching episodes of The Office on DVD--what a hilarious show! We just sat there laughing. It was great :o) On Tuesday Becky came into work so I could give her a tour of Target Headquarters. We stopped by the Bullseye shop, visited the Target history displays, and stopped by my office before we headed off to lunch at Bank, a unique restaurant in the old Farmers & Mechanics Bank building which is now the new Westin Minneapolis Hotel. What an excellent time! Tuesday evening was a dinner party at my apartment with Becky joining my friends Blaine, Ryan and Megan. We had a great time breaking-in my new dining room table (purchased at Target, of course), eating Blaine's amazing dinner, laughing and sharing stories. It was so fun to bring people together. Between my monthly mixers, visits from family, and now a small dinner party, it's been so nice to have people in my apartment--it warms the space and keeps my apartment a "home".

Yesterday afternoon Becky's husband, Jim, and my nieces Nicki and Natalie stopped by to pick her up as they headed over to the U of M campus to watch Pelican Rapids play in the high school basketball tournament. Our mini-vacation came to an end, but not without three days of fun, laughter and good conversations. Sometimes it's those little spontaneous visits that make all the difference!

Whether it's my expat family from India, my family here in Minnesota, or my family of friends in Minneapolis, I am reminded once again that "family" comes in many forms--and spending time with them is so important. For family does, indeed, matter.

Peace.

No comments: