Saturday, June 27, 2009

A Royal Event

What do you mean your family doesn't dress-up in medieval costume on festive occasions...? Doesn't everyone?! Okay... I suppose I'd better provide a little context for the picture above.

Yesterday we attended the birthday party for our neighbor Lucas - he's 4 years old :o) Lucas decided that he wanted to celebrate his birthday with a costume party for the parents and friends that emulated his medieval play castle on their front lawn, hence a theme was born. After all, for last year's third birthday Lucas had received armor including a helmet, breastplate and sword - so why not continue the theme of the gallant knight?

We had no problem finding costumes as I have my ornate and beautiful kurtas from India to use as "royal" attire - add some miscellaneous costume jewelry and a crown from Burger King and voila! The Royal Family was born.

We all had a fun time, especially Natalie, my 12-year old niece who's been staying with us every other week and helping to take care of the neighbor kids, including Lucas, his brother Jack, and their new brother and sister twins born just 8 months ago. A full house under the age of 4! Natalie and I (Uncle Mike) have been enjoying the summer and spending time exploring the town, going out to movies, and having picnics by the lake.

What a fun summer to spend with my family! Thanks, Bemidji, for always welcoming me home :o)

The Ambassador

No comments: