Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Wake Up, Already!


Okay, so I never really thought I'd admit this, but I love waking up early. There, now I said it. 

Have you ever explored the benefits of waking up early in the morning? It's amazing! Now I'm not saying that I've never gotten in the habit of rising before the sun; in fact, for quite a long time I would only sleep for 5 hours at a time - heading to bed around midnight and waking up by 5:00am - but that was during a period of my life where I was operating at a super-high frequency and it worked well to sleep less. Now, I must admit, the body's churning at a slightly different speed and I need just a little more shuteye, so more like 6-7 hours of sleep is better.


There are many benefits to waking up early and you can discover what works best for you. But let me highlight a few that I've found make sense to me:
  • It's QUIET (need I say more...?) Peace, quiet, solitude, calm... do these words sound appealing to you? Yes, these experiences, and more, can be found in the morning!
  • Since it is quiet I can get twice as much done in half the time without interruptions (*key)
  • It is, indeed, a profound event to watch the sun rise in the morning... as amazing a watching a sunset :o)
  • My mind is clear and my thoughts flow much easier since I haven't yet accumulated the "noise and clutter" of the day.
  • I can take time to think about what I want to accomplish today, who I want to "be" today, and what I'd like to reflect upon tonight as I'm reading myself to sleep.
  • I can get my best writing done (and I can recall my dreams quickly if I choose to process them) - and the best way to prime the pump is to write morning pages.
  • I can hydrate my body slowly by drinking water and herbal tea therefore bringing me my natural appetite by mid-morning for a great breakfast!
* A quiet environment (outside) allows the quiet voice within you (inside) to be louder and easier to hear. I refer to this quieter voice as spirit. If you can tune into your spirit, you can hear amazing things!!


Now you may not find yourself to be a "morning person" - I never was growing up... but thank goodness people change, and if you are willing to explore a new side of yourself you may be surprised how wonderful it can be to enjoy the benefits of the morning. Try it! I did.


Make it a great week.

The Ambassador

No comments: