Monday, December 29, 2008

Quick Expat Reunion

Right before Christmas I had a fantastic opportunity to meet up with a few of my fellow expatriates (Michael "Curly", Todd, Sarah) who were also in India with me, as well as connect with Pam who happened to be visiting from India for the holidays. Todd's partner Davin and Michael's partner Brian also joined us--it was the first time we'd all connected since we returned to the U.S. this fall. We met up for brunch at the French Meadow Bakery in uptown Minneapolis and laughed our way through a fantastic breakfast of delicious muffins, coffee, eggs, and toast. Mmmmmm! Even though it was so great to connect with each other, it was strange having the snow and subzero temperatures outside... we're used to being together in hot and humid Asia!

After breakfast, me, Pam, Sarah, Todd & Davin went to the "India: Public Places, Private Spaces" exhibit at MIA (Minneapolis Institute of Arts). It was a wonderful series showcasing the many artistic talents of Indian photographers, videographers and artists. It was fun to see some familiar sites in the photographs and I was quite impressed with the variety and quality of the work. The artists focused more on their artwork and craft while adding the nuances of Indian culture into their works. An amazing and enlightening exhibit!

Even though the reunion was short, it was wonderful. It still feels odd that I don't get to see these friends on a daily basis like I did in India, but I know that these friendships will last my entire lifetime. I am so grateful for the experience of being an expat this past year--what an amazing adventure!

Happy New Year.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Happy New Year! hope you are able to enjoy your holidays!